Power Quads Sand Volleyball Rules
Due to the number of teams in the league, we have to incorporate Bayside and Airport parks in Colchester as well. This means that there will be one bracket playing at Bayside, and the other two playing in Williston. Which brackets play in Colchester will rotate throughout the season (not every week, but in groups of weeks). Teams are also re-ranked each week, so please make sure to check the schedule each week to make sure you are driving to the right location!
To view the schedule and stats each week, you can find them at two locations:
For game play rules, we are using the USA Volleyball Quad beach regulation rules (Note: There is a difference between Quads and doubles beach rules!). These rules are different then indoor rules, so please make sure you understand them. Here are some of the hightlights, and a couple of league variations:
- Contact with the net: Contact with the net is a fault if contact is made between the antannae during a playing action. Or, if while NOT playing the ball, takes support from the net, or touches the net in a way that creates an advantage over the opponent, or interferes with the opponent's play.
- First contact: First contact with a ball on your side of the net (that is not a block), must be clean. No double hits, no lifting, etc.... If the first ball over is hard driven, then a play MAY momentarily double or lift the ball.
- First contact on a serve: The rules are generally the same as First Contact, but there is no hard-driven ball rule. It must be clean. *** Our league uses a variation, where we do NOT allow the first ball over on a serve to be "Set", it MUST be bumped.
- Blocking: A block in quads DOES NOT count as a team's first hit.
- Dinks and Tips: You may NOT use open handed dinks or direct the ball with your fingers.
- Play under the net: Crossing into the oppenents playing area under the net, IS ok, so long as you do not interfere with the opposing team's play.
- Adjacent Courts: If a player steps into the bounds of an adjacent court, then the ball/player are considered out, and the point will be awarded to the opposing team. The court that was stepped into, will consider this interference, and will replay the point that was in progress at the time.
- Rosters: League Rule - You may pick up players from other teams to sub on your team during regular play, but those players MUST come from a team in your bracket. You may NOT pick up players from a higher or lower bracket.
Teams that do not show to play their games for the week, and do not notify the league, will forfeit 2 games for every team that DID show. If they provide notification at least 1 hour prior to league start time or more on the same day, they will only forfeit 1 game per team. And teams that notify the league at least 1 day prior to game night, will be granted a bye for the week with no losses.
Playoffs will occur during the final week of the season. Due to the lack of light at that time of the summer, we will be starting promptly or earlier if possible. Please try to get to the courts as early as possibe!
- Rosters: Any players on your team for the playoffs, must have played on your team previously, at least two times during the course of the season. And may not play on another team during the playoffs.
Because we play in more than one park and one town, park rules will vary depending on where you play. Please ensure you understand them before playing there. See below for the important rules that most effect our league
Regardless of which park you will be playing in, there are some basic rules for each park:
- Parks and courts belong to the towns they reside in. These our NOT our courts, we are given permission to use them, and that privilege could be revoked at any time. Please try not to damage the facilities, and make sure to clean up after yourselves! Don't leave any garbage or bottles behind at the end of the night!
- We will play rain or shine, however, Thunder or Lightning may cause us to cancel play for the safety of all players. Cancellation will be called by the coordinator for the league in that park for the week. If they cancel play, or ask you to leave the courts, please cooperate.
- Location: During the season, there are a few weeks where Colchester Parks and Recreation hosts a concert series in the park. During these weeks, we are not allowed to use Bayside Park, and will be moving to Airport Park instead. Please make sure to check the weekly schedule to see when this occurs.
- Beverages: While Colchester Parks DO allow alcohol and open containers in the park, they DO NOT allow glass containers. If you are bringing beverages, please ensure they are in plastic bottles or cans.
- Beverages: Williston park is managed by the Williston Education Department. This means there is NO ALCOHOL allowed in the parks! Please do not bring any to our courts. Keep in mind, this is an educational facility and could incur criminal prosecution if you are discovered carrying alcohol.